Successful business owner Matt Shoup talks about how he took $100 and built a multi-million dollar painting company from scratch.
In March of 2005, Matt was laid off from a corporate banking job that he absolutely hated. Matt quickly founded M & E Painting with the last $100 he had to his name, all while being close to $200,000 in personal debt.
M & E Painting grew quickly and has produced over $30 million dollars in revenue since 2005. Matt and M & E Painting have received dozens of local, state, national and international business awards. M & E Painting was named one of the United States Top Small Workplaces by Inc Magazine and Winning Workplaces in 2011, one of Colorado's Top 250 Private Companies by Colorado Biz Magazine in 2010, made the INC 5000 List (#1724) of Fastest Growing Companies in the United States in 2010, and received the Northern Colorado Better Business Bureau Torch Award for Business Ethics in 2017.
Matt was named one of Colorado Biz Magazine's Top Five Most Influential Young Professionals (2010), one of 40 Under 40 Top Business Leaders by the Northern Colorado Business Report (2013), and received the Colorado State University (CSU) Gold Award being named Alumni of the Last Decade (2012).
Matt has been featured in publications such as INC Magazine, Entrepreneur Magazine, BBC, Fox Small Business, Huffington Post, US News and World Report, and EO Overdrive.
Matt has founded 6 successful companies and grown them all from the ground up. All of these companies are being run by extraordinary people! These companies are M & E Painting, M & E Roofing Solutions, RiRy, Makers of The Pirate Patch Drywall Repair Tool, Northern Colorado Jiu Jitsu, M & E Real Estate Ventures and MattShoup.com
Along the way, Matt received his Brazilian jiu jitsu black belt, traveled the world, raised an amazing family, learned to perfect cooking Spanish paella, and has enjoyed pouring into the lives of innumerable entrepreneurs and small business leaders, all while always enjoying countless cups of Spanish coffee at Café Sevilla.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- How Matt built a successful business after being laid off
- The mental health of entrepreneurs
- The importance of finding mentors who speak honestly and directly
Show notes: https://www.inspiredmoney.fm/272
Find more from our guest:
- Painted Baby: Connect with Clients Through Brave and Vulnerable Storytelling by Matt Shoup
- Become An Award Winning Company: 7 Simple Steps to Unlock The Million Dollar Secret Every Entrepreneur Needs to Know
- Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine by Mike Michalowicz
Thanks for Listening & Watching!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Share this show on Twitter or Facebook.
- Join us at the Inspired Money Makers groups at facebook and LinkedIn
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts, Podchaser.com, or wherever you listen. Your ratings and reviews really help, and I read each one.
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts and YouTube.
If you've ever lost a job, what did you do?