4-Time USA Memory Champion, Nelson Dellis wants to teach you techniques that will allow you to memorize vast amounts of information.
Nelson Dellis is a 4x USA Memory Champion and one of the leading memory experts in the world, traveling around the world as a competitive Memory Athlete, Memory Consultant, Published Author and highly sought-after Keynote Speaker. As a Memory Champion, Mountaineer, and Alzheimer's Disease Activist, he preaches a lifestyle that combines fitness, both mental and physical, with proper diet and social involvement.
Born with an average memory, Nelson was inspired by the passing of his grandmother from Alzheimer's disease in 2009 to start training his memory so that he could keep his mind strong and healthy throughout his lifespan. In a short period of time, he transformed into one of the leading competitive memorizers in the world, claiming four U.S. titles along the way, the elite Grandmaster of Memory title, as well as a number of U.S. memory records for:
- (current record) Memorizing the most names in 15 minutes – 235 names
- (current record) Memorizing the most words in 15 minutes – 255 words
- (former record) Memorizing the most digits in 30 minutes – 907 digits
- (former record) Memorizing the most decks of playing cards in 30 minutes – 9.02 decks
- (former record) Memorizing the most digits in 5 minutes – 339 digits
- (former record) Memorizing a deck of cards in the fastest time – 40.65 seconds
Nelson is the Founder & CEO of Climb For Memory, a non-profit charity that aims to raise awareness and funds for Alzheimer's disease research through mountain climbs all around the world. Nelson has climbed numerous peaks around the world for this cause, including three times on Mt. Everest.
Nelson has been featured on the Netflix documentary “Memory Games” (2019), FOX's Superhumans, Brain Games, The TODAY Show, Fox and Friends, The Katie Couric Show, CNN.com, ABC Nightline, The Dr. Oz Show, The Science Channel, Nat Geo, SuperBrain China, among many others.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- What is memory and should we be training our brains?
- A system for encoding numbers for impressive memory recall.
- We'll discuss the business of memory because Nelson left his day job to follow his passion.
Show notes: http://www.inspiredmoney.fm/103
Mentioned in this episode:
- Ben Pridmore – World Memory Champion
- Remember It!: The Names of People You Meet, All of Your Passwords, Where You Left Your Keys, and Everything Else You Tend to Forget by Nelson Dellis
- Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything by Joshua Foer
- Quantum Memory: Learn to Improve Your Memory with The World Memory Champion! by Dominic O'Brien
- Climb For Memory
Runnymede Tip of the Week:
Thanks for Listening and watching!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Share this show on Twitter or Facebook.
- Join us at the Inspired Money Makers groups at facebook and LinkedIn
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts. Your ratings and reviews really help, and I read each one. Email me your address, and I'll mail you an autographed copy of Kimo West and Ken Emerson's CD, Slackers in Paradise.
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts.
Special thanks to Jim Kimo West for the music.