Dani Zoldan, owner of Stand Up NY, shares how the comedy club helps him to build relationships and launch multiple businesses.
Dani Zoldan been an entrepreneur since I was 19 years old. While in college, he founded the online music company Eargazmic.com which was a website where independent bands and musicians could promote and sell their music. Each artist had their own web page which consisted of photos, a bio, upcoming tour dates and links to purchase MP3’s.
In 2004, when phone carriers starting utilizing voice over internet protocol (VoIP) and routing their traffic over internet lines instead of phone lines, Dani decided to experiment with that technology and built an IP connection from his apartment closet (that’s closet, as in where you put clothes) to Trinidad & Tobago and successfully was able to make long distance phone calls but paying local (Trinidad) prices. This experiment launched Titan International, which ultimately became a big player in selling wholesale long distance services to phone companies. Verizon, China Telecom, TATA Communications and many phone companies around the world relied on Titan's services.
In 2008, Dani purchased Stand Up NY, the famous comedy club on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Stand Up NY made its name in the 80’s and 90’s with many of the world’s best comics known to frequent the club including Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Robin Williams, Louis CK and Jon Stewart. Today, the club is home to many current A-listers including Amy Schumer, Michael Che, Pete Davidson and Judah Friedlander.
In 2013, Dani and co-founder Jon Fatigate created Stand Up NY Labs, a comedy incubator. They successfully launched several hit podcasts including Tuesdays with Stories, Race Wars, The Jtrain podcast and In the Conversation which can can be found on iTunes, Spotify, Google Play and SoundCloud. In 2015 DGital Media, an audio engagement company invested in their company and currently ad-rep the network.
At the end of 2016, Stand Up NY launched Skitish Media which creates short, funny, and shareable video content for brands and media agencies.
Dani lives on the Upper West Side with my wife Billie, an orthodontist and three children – Bradyn, Sydney and Ryder.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- Insights into running a comedy club.
- How to grow by building other businesses around a core business.
- The value of making connections with people and growing your network.
Show notes: http://www.inspiredmoney.fm/136
Find more from our guest:
Mentioned in this episode:
- Skitish Media
- Stand Up NY Education
- Podcast Row
- Inspired Money 135: Investing in Multi-Family Real Estate with Willie Mandrell
- Dark Horse Podcast with Dani Zoldan on Apple Podcasts
- Jim Gaffigan
- Amy Schumer
- Stormy Daniels
- Adam Duritz
- Peter Shankman
- Engelbert Humperdinck
- Dennis Quaid
- James Altucher
Runnymede Money Tip of the Week
Thanks for Listening and Watching!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Share this show on Twitter or Facebook.
- Join us at the Inspired Money Makers groups at facebook and LinkedIn
To help out the show:
- Write a review at Podchaser! Reviews4Good: Every Review & Reply on Podchaser sends 25 cents to Meals on Wheels
- Leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts. Your ratings and reviews really help, and I read each one. Email me your address, and I'll mail you an autographed copy of Kimo West and Ken Emerson's CD, Slackers in Paradise.
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts.
Special thanks to Jim Kimo West for the music.