Maricela Soberanes shares her inspiring story of growing up poor in Mexico City and coming to the United States where she gained financial independence as a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthesiologist, real estate investor, and founder of a non-profit.
Maricela Soberanes is one of nine siblings who grew up in Mexico City. Her single mother with no formal education struggled to provide essentials such as food and shelter. Maricela earned a scholarship to attend high school while working as a nanny to supplement expenses. After high school, her good grades and hard work earned her a scholarship to college.
After a failed business, she moved to the United States, not knowing anyone, with $100.00 to her name. With a heart full of relentless perseverance and a mind full of dreams, Maricela studied English as a Second Language and earned a GED (General Education Diploma). With five degrees including a Master’s degree and a Doctorate degree, Maricela became a CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthesiologist). In 2003, she joined the Military and was commissioned as a Naval Officer practicing military medicine in the United States, overseas, and many Central American Countries while volunteering on medical missions.
As a side gig, Maricela has been in the Real Estate business part-time for over 16 years. When she first saw the opportunity to invest in Real Estate, it was partly because of the desire to provide housing to families and also because it fed her entrepreneurial spirit. She and her husband founded Up Plex Living and manage a rental portfolio of 35 doors. Their big goal is to conduct Community Wellness Outreach events focused on financial literacy, basic medical, and psychological checks to communities that lack the resources to obtain those services. Their passion is to teach better money behaviors to those who want to gain financial independence.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- The importance of developing a creative and innovative mindset
- Foundational tips for achieving financial independence
- Why Maricela established a non-profit, 100% veteran owned business to help people in other countries with financial literacy and healthy living education.
Show notes: http://www.inspiredmoney.fm/154
Find more from our guest:
Mentioned in this episode:
Runnymede Money Tip of the Week
- Benefits of 401(k) plans for business owners
Thanks for Listening and Watching!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Share this show on Twitter or Facebook.
- Join us at the Inspired Money Makers groups at facebook and LinkedIn
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts, Podchaser.com, or wherever you listen. Your ratings and reviews really help, and I read each one. Email me your address, and I'll mail you an autographed copy of Kimo West and Ken Emerson's CD, Slackers in Paradise.
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts.
Special thanks to Jim Kimo West for the music.