Renowned master hula teacher, cultural leader, and Hawaiian activist, Vicky Holt Takmine talks about perpetuating Hawaiian arts, hula as resistance, and non-profit fundraising.
Vicky Holt Takamine is a renowned kumu hula (master teacher of Hawaiian dance). She is recognized as a native Hawaiian leader for role as an advocate for social justice issues, the protection of native Hawaiian rights, and the natural and cultural resources of Hawai‘i. In 1975, Vicky graduated as a kumu hula from hula master Maiki Aiu Lake. Vicky established her own hālau, Pua Aliʻi ‘Ilima, (school of Hawaiian dance) in 1977 and has been teaching hula for the past 39 years. Vicky and her students have performed nationally and internationally. Vicky earned her BA & MA in dance ethnology from the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. In addition to teaching at her own school, Vicky was a lecturer at UH Manoa and Leeward Community College for more than 35 years.
In 2001, Vicky established a non-profit organization, PAʻI Foundation, to serve the needs of her Hawaiian community and those who make Hawai’i their home. Vicky serves as the executive director of PAʻI. Under her leadership, PAʻI is partnering with First Peoples Fund, the National Association of Latino Arts and Culture and Alternate Roots to develop leadership and networking opportunities for artists through the Intercultural Leadership Institute.
This episode is brought to you by Seeking Alpha.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- The path to becoming a master hula teacher
- Being called an activist and hula as resistance
- Non-profit fundraising when you don’t fit into western focused training or grant programs
Show notes: http://www.inspiredmoney.fm/242
Find more from our guest:
Mentioned in this episode:
- Larry Kimura
- Dr. Kalena Silva
- Robert and Roland Cazimero
- Haunani-Kay Trask
- Keli‘i Tau‘a
- Mary Kawena Pukui
- “Auntie” Alice Kuʻuleialohapoʻinaʻole Kanakaoluna Nāmakelua
- Lokalia Montgomery
- Dr. Kenneth Emory
- Aunty Pat Namaka Bacon
- Aunty Leila Hohu Kiaha
- Kuana Torres Kahele
- Blossom Puanani Alama-Tom
- Lucky Luck Show
- Kaʻupena Wong
- Moe Keale
- Pua Almeida
- Na Kapuna Nights at Moana Hotel
- Leinaala Kalama Heine
- Melveen Leed
- Intercultural Leadership Institute
- Alternate ROOTS
- First Peoples Fund
- National Association of Latino Arts and Cultures
- Danny Kaleikini
- Pualani Kanaka‘ole Kanahele
- Nalani Kanaka'ole
- Kekuhi Kealiʻikanakaole
- Kumu Hula Hōkūlani Holt-Padilla
- Kealiʻi Reichel
- Mary Lou Kekuewa – featherwork
- Paulette Kahalepuna – featherwork
- Rocky Ka'iouliokahihikolo'Ehu Jensen – carving
Thanks for Listening & Watching!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Share this show on Twitter or Facebook.
- Join us at the Inspired Money Makers groups at facebook and LinkedIn
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts, Podchaser.com, or wherever you listen. Your ratings and reviews really help, and I read each one.
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts and YouTube.
Have you ever danced hula or studied Hawaiian culture?
Leave A Comment