Bob Lotich talks about how he eclipsed his corporate income after blogging full-time for just 9 months and the benefits of taking a year-long sabbatical.
Bob Lotich is the founder of the award-winning blog SeedTime.com and podcast SeedTime Money. He nerds out on experimenting with his money with small things like budgeting hacks, money-saving apps, and big things like radical giving, year-long sabbaticals, and other timeless financial instruction from the Bible.
Bob is a Certified Educator in Personal Finance (CEPF®) and started SeedTime (formerly ChristianPF) in 2007 with a passion to help fellow believers learn how to manage their money wisely. His personal mission (and the SeedTime mission) is to make, save, grow, and give money to benefit others. After all, life isn’t about the accumulation of things but is about how we can make the world a better place by giving.
Once he realized that by paying off his debt, he could fund God’s Kingdom instead of paying interest to banks, it provided a deeper level of motivation to get out of debt.
That sealed the deal, and Bob and his wife Linda spent the next couple years paying off their $46k of debt in their first years of marriage.
Bob also has a passion for helping entrepreneurs get their business ideas off the ground and has written 2 books helping bloggers and wanna-be-bloggers build and grow their blogs.
When Bob isn’t working, he is likely hanging with his wife Linda and their kids, Alden, Valerie, and Oliver, working on his garden, eating some artisanal dark chocolate, playing guitar, or riding his motorcycle. Sometimes all at the same time.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- How Bob became a full-time blogger and blogging as a business.
- What Bob learned from taking a full year off from work, with no email or social media.
- Make sure you listen to the end to hear about Bob's big giving goals, like giving away nearly 40% of his income!
Show notes: http://www.inspiredmoney.fm/148
Find more from our guest:
Mentioned in this episode:
- Poverty, Inc. (film)
- Rich Dad Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not! by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- The Automatic Millionaire, Expanded and Updated: A Powerful One-Step Plan to Live and Finish Rich by David Bach
- Inspired Money 138: How to Set Goals and Make Them Happen with Joe Pulizzi
Runnymede Money Tip of the Week
- A reminder and a few tips to support local businesses.
Thanks for Listening and Watching!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Share this show on Twitter or Facebook.
- Join us at the Inspired Money Makers groups at facebook and LinkedIn
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts, Podchaser.com, or wherever you listen. Your ratings and reviews really help, and I read each one. Email me your address, and I'll mail you an autographed copy of Kimo West and Ken Emerson's CD, Slackers in Paradise.
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts.
Special thanks to Jim Kimo West for the music.