Jim Huffman, CEO of GrowthHit, shares lessons learned from losing $400,000+, getting COVID-19, and rebuilding his business.
Jim Huffman is CEO of growth marketing consultancy GrowthHit and a growth mentor for the Techstars startup accelerator. He has led growth at three startups that went from idea to over $10M in sales and were featured in publications such as The Wall Street Journal, TechCrunch, and the TODAY Show. He has advised and taught digital marketing to brands that include Sephora, General Assembly, OREO, Hot Wheels, FedEx, and more. He is author of the Amazon best-selling book, The Growth Marketer's Playbook, a book that pushed Seth Godin off the #1 spot for 72 hours.
Jim also leverages his experience by working with startup founders and marketing professionals at Startup Week Seattle and General Assembly NYC. Jim earned his bachelor’s degree from University of Kansas where he serves as a mentor to marketing and business students. Today, Huffman is based in Seattle, Washington, and is an active member of the ANA, Techstars and General Assembly.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- What growth marketing and ABM (Account-Based Marketing) are.
- Why Jim thinks running a bootstrapped agency is better than working at a startup that's shooting for a lucrative exit.
- Lessons about digging your business out of a pandemic crisis.
Show notes: http://www.inspiredmoney.fm/159
Find more from our guest:
Mentioned in this episode:
- Blog The Hardest Day of My Career (Losing $400k, Testing Positive & FROZEN 2)
- Andrew Wilkinson at Tiny Capital
- Eric Siu at Single Grain
- Tim Ferriss on Fear-Setting
- General Assembly
- The Growth Marketer's Playbook: A Strategic Guide to Growing a Business in Today's Digital World By Jim Huffman
- Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen
Runnymede Money Tip of the Week
- YouTube: Inbox Zero at Google TechTalks
- Merlin Mann
- Join the Inspired Money30-day Fear Challenge
Thanks for Listening and Watching!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Share this show on Twitter or Facebook.
- Join us at the Inspired Money Makers groups at facebook and LinkedIn
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts, Podchaser.com, or wherever you listen. Your ratings and reviews really help, and I read each one. Email me your address, and I'll mail you an autographed copy of Kimo West and Ken Emerson's CD, Slackers in Paradise.
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts.
Special thanks to Jim Kimo West for the music.