The Laundress Founder Gwen Whiting talks about building a brand from scratch, financing growth, and different views on money.
Gwen Whiting embodies an entrepreneur’s spirit with a creative vision and an executive’s talent for leading and growing a global lifestyle brand. Long before sustainability became an inspiring way of life, it was Gwen’s vision in 2004 to create a premium, eco-friendly laundry and home cleaning brand – The Laundress. Without external funding, through Gwen’s tenacity and leadership, The Laundress grew via multi-channel distribution and was acquired by Unilever.
In addition to Gwen’s leadership role, she oversees the entire visual brand experience of The Laundress from concept to creation, including product development, branding, and retail design. Gwen’s current mission is to certify The Laundress as a B-corp, committed to purpose and sustainability principles for business as a force for good, with purpose over profit.
Prior to cofounding The Laundress, Gwen spent over a decade in fashion, retail, media, and design, including five years as a Senior Designer for Ralph Lauren Home. She holds her Bachelor of Science in Textile Science Apparel Design from Cornell University, where she remains actively involved as an alumnae and student mentorship. An active voice in thought leadership, entrepreneurship and female empowerment, Gwen is also a member of Chief & YPO Global Leadership Community. Gwen lives in New York City and Bridgehampton with her husband. She feeds her creative spirit with reading, wellness, and global adventures.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- Different types of risks — personal, business, and investing.
- The never ending hamster wheel of needing money to grow a business — a common struggle for female founders.
- How a collaboration with rock star customer John Mayer came together.
Show notes: http://www.inspiredmoney.fm/188
Find more from our guest:
Mentioned in the episode:
- Timothy Everest Bespoke Tailoring
- Thomas Pink
- Jim McKelvey, Founder of Square
- John Mayer
- Montana Association of Land Trusts
- J. Crew
- Le Labo
Money Tip of the Week
- Great investing is like watching a tree grow.
Thanks for Listening and Watching!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Share this show on Twitter or Facebook.
- Join us at the Inspired Money Makers groups at facebook and LinkedIn
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts, Podchaser.com, or wherever you listen. Your ratings and reviews really help, and I read each one.
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts.
Special thanks to Jim Kimo West for the music.